New Tutorials >> Photoshop Tutorials >> Designing a logo in photoshop.
Logo Design in Photoshop
create a logo in Photoshop can intimidate you at first. But, remember it
is all about font selection, and whether you choose to add designs like
symbols or icons for different effects. In this Photoshop logo tutorial I
will do both - I will design a logo for a fictional watch-selling
company named “WATCHI”.
Below, you will learn logo design methods to help you make a cool logo like:
* Gather different fonts to brainstorm for the best.
* Design a cool clock symbol to fit nicely to the font.
* Learn how to Rasterize text layers for editing.
* Once you finish your logo design, add a mirror effect.
* Then choose the coloring scheme, including an inverted color logo.
Firstly, I would like to introduce a couple tips on designing a web logo:
with the making of the logo as if you are dealing with the company
name. It must be unique. Do not copy the others’ ideas but instead open
widely the doors for your imagination.
- Take a look at a few famous web logos. Use symbols or fonts (or both):
Now I will show you how to create a professional logo in Photoshop:
Brainstorm for Cool Fonts
main target is the name of the company. Therefore, I will try to choose
a good font that can be used, or maybe I can combine several fonts. I
will gather the fonts that I like in one page to help visualize. Then,
decide which one should be considered. I will choose the fifth one, at
the bottom and right:
Create a Cool Clock Symbol
Now you need to think about how to make special touches on this word “WATCHI” in Photoshop. For me, I will put the head of the letter “ i " as an illustration of a clock.
- Draw a circle using the Ellipse tool. Press shift to draw a regular circle. Now, draw a subtracting circle inside the drawn circle by pressing shift+alt. Use the Path Selection tool to move the subtracting circle. Use the Custom Shape tool to draw the clock handles. Choose the Arrow. Right click and use the Free Transform Path to turn the arrows.
will add some touches to the circle of the clock. I will make it dashed
circle in different sizes using this tool. But before that, I need to Rasterize
the layer of the circle. (In Photoshop, Rasterizing converts the text
or shapes layer into a normal layer. Then you can edit that layer). To Rasterize the layer, Right-click on the layer and click Rasterize Layer.
- I will draw select the area I want to delete using the Polygon Lasso Tool. Make a selection then press “Delete”. Follow the same method till you get the following shape.
Design a Cool Letter A
Now, I will modify the look of the letter “A”. Make every letter as a single text in different layers to be able to modify it separately. Put the letter “A” in its own layer (duplicate the original text layer then Rasterize the layer). Use the Polygon Lasso Tool to select and delete all the other letters.
- Decrease the width of “A”. Right click the canvas and go to Free Transform. Then carefully erase the horizontal line in the letter “A”.
- Use the Move tool and move the “W” and “TCH” layers closer to the “i” layer. So now we have on the canvas, the new logo for our fictional watch company:
Add a Cool Mirror Effect
To add a mirror effect to the logo, Flatten all layers. Duplicate the “Background” layer. Then on the “Background copy” layer go to Edit > Transform > Flip Vertical. Change the layer to Multiply. Change the layer Opacity to 25%.Then use the Move tool to move the mirrored text just below the original like you see below:
Cool Coloring Scheme
the first coloring scheme on our photoshop logo, I am proposing the two colors below (green
and dark gray). With a little more work… an inverted version (Start with Color Invert from the menu):
I hope this tutorial has given you ideas on how
to design a logo in photoshop. Photoshop is a great tool for creating text, icons, and symbols that will go well with your own logo.
If you liked this tutorial, please share with your friends:
You might like other Photoshop tutorials:
Please Add your Comments: